Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Try or Dry? A thought for the New Year.


Try or Dry?


As we leave Christmas behind and head into 2020 many beer drinkers will face that annual decision....try or dry?


Dry January is the annual campaign to give up alcohol for the month of January, some will sight health reasons, some trying to re balance the Christmas binge. Others will take on the challenge to save a little money.


On the other hand, Tryanuary seeks to promote independent breweries, bottle shops and beers. It encourages drinkers to try something new, something they wouldn't normally drink.


The arguments for both are compelling; in theory the idea of detoxing your body after what may have been a slightly indulgent December is a good one. I'm aware there is conflicting medical studies as to the benefits of spending a month tee total.


I'm no Doctor and I am certainly not going to claim to be. However, that said I guess that allowing no alcohol to enter your body must have some positives. My question though; does stopping alcohol consumption for one month just to 'get back on it' come February 1st have any benefits? I'll let you ponder that one.


First founded in 2013 by Alcohol Concern, Dry January use to mean soft drinks, good old H2O or some frankly terrible non alcoholic beer. I remember for example the first time I tried Cobra Alcohol Free, it certainly didn't taste like beer!


Thankfully in 2020, Dry January participants have a great and ever increasing selection of good quality and flavourful alcohol free options. Breweries such as Adnams, Brewdog and Thornbridge all offer alcohol free beers in addition to their core ranges. In addition to these are a number of breweries like Big Drop and Nirvana who focus on producing purely alcohol free and low ABV beer.
I first had Big Drop's Milk Stout about 12 months ago. I remember halfway through the bottle I had to remind myself I was drinking alcohol free beer. Apart from a slightly thin body the taste and aroma was exactly what I would expect for a regular milk stout.


Big Drop pride themselves on brewing recipes that produce low ABV beer rather than brewing conventional strength beer, then removing the alcohol via industrial processes which is how many alcohol free beers were originally produced. The last 12 months has seen their availability increased with main major supermarkets and high street health food shops stocking their products. This is evidence, if needed, that the quality of alcohol free beer is improving. Dry January no longer means missing out.


Tryanuary on the other hand is a more recent concept being founded in 2015 with the mission of championing local beer.


The idea is simple, encourage drinkers to support independent breweries, bars and bottle shops throughout January. Traditionally January was a challenging month for the brewing and beer industry. Partially due to people trying to save money post Christmas, but also as many people set new years resolutions, aiming to reduce their alcohol intake to improve their health. It can also be argued that although it's intent is honourable Dry January only made things harder.


During Tryanuary events are held up and down the country, tap takeovers, meet the brewers, bottle shares and tasting evenings. Each with the intention of promoting local and independent beer.

As an aspiring beer writer and reviewer you might think I would be dead against Dry January....well you'd be wrong. Also you might think Dry January and Tryanuary are not compatible; well, I believe you're also wrong.


If you're taking part in Dry January this year I wish you well and set you a second challenge, which I shall call 'Try and Dry'. Rather than opting to stay in, go out, visit your local bar, pub, or bottle shop. Try their alcohol free options, and if they haven't any, ask them why!

Personally, Dry January isn't for me, I shall start 2020 in the same way I have finished 2019. Enjoying great beer, both regular and alcohol free and doing all this as part of a healthy balanced lifestyle. I live by a simple mantra; ‘Drink Less, But Drink Better’.


Try or Dry? I can’t answer that, what I can say is, drink local, support the independent.

No comments:

Post a Comment